Traffic Management for November 22 to December 5
There will be no lane or bridge closures from 5:00 AM on Tuesday, November 24 through 5:00 AM on Monday, November 30 for the Thanksgiving holiday.
- Memorial Drive westbound, single lane - Monday, November 30 through Friday, December 4 - 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM
- Storrow Drive east and westbound, single lane - Monday, November 30 through Friday, December 4 - 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM
The lanes closed and time of closure will vary depending on the activity taking place. The closures are necessary to allow for deliveries and to protect public safety when construction activities are taking place on the bridge above the roadway.
Longfellow Bridge Closures
Through January 2016, WSC will close the Longfellow Bridge to all vehicular traffic overnight, Mondays through Fridays (see weekly details below). The closure may extend to Saturdays, if needed. For more information, view the Modified Stage 2 Advisory and the Boston-bound detour routes described below.
- Overnight closure - Monday, November 30 through Thursday, December 3 - 11:00 PM each night to 5:00 AM the following morning
- Closed from 11:00 PM on Friday, December 4 to 7:00 PM on Saturday, December 5
The schedule for this major infrastructure project is subject to change without notice. No closures will be implemented within one hour before and after all events at TD Garden or Fenway Park to minimize traffic impacts in the area. All lane restrictions and closures and construction activities are weather dependent. As is typical with most large construction projects, work may sometimes take place without prior notice; however, MassDOT will make every effort to provide advance notice. Emergency response, bicycle and pedestrian access, and MBTA Red Line service will be maintained across the bridge during construction.
Boston Bound Traffic
Boston-bound vehicles should use one of two inbound detour routes to reach Charles River Dam Road (Monsignor O'Brien Highway/Route 28) and Leverett Circle. Height restrictions are in place for Memorial Drive, so all buses and trucks must use the 3rd Street to Binney Street detour described below.
- From Main Street, turn right onto Memorial Drive westbound, and make a U-turn at Ames Street to access Memorial Drive eastbound. Follow Memorial Drive eastbound to Land Boulevard and turn right onto Charles River Dam Road (Monsignor O'Brien Highway/Route 28) to reach Leverett Circle.
- From Broadway, turn left onto 3rd Street, turn right on Binney Street, turn left onto Land Boulevard, and then turn right onto Charles River Dam Road (Monsignor O’Brien Highway/Route 28) to reach Leverett Circle.
Cambridge Bound Traffic
For the duration of the project, all Cambridge-bound traffic is being detoured using a signed route from Charles Circle following Charles Street to Leverett Circle, Monsignor O'Brien Highway/Charles River Dam Road and Edwin H. Land Boulevard.
To learn more, please review the Cambridge detour route map. An alternate detour route uses Storrow Drive westbound to the Massachusetts Avenue Bridge. Please note: Storrow Drive and Memorial Drive have truck restrictions.