Traffic Management through January 29
- Memorial Drive east and westbound, alternating single lane - Tuesday, January 17, through Friday, January 20 - 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM
- Storrow Drive east and westbound, alternating single lane - Tuesday, January 17, through Friday, January 20 - 10:00 AM to 3:00 PM
- Memorial Drive east and westbound, alternating single lane - Monday, January 23, through Friday, January 27 - 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM
- Storrow Drive east and westbound, alternating single lane - Monday, January 23, through Friday, January 27 - 10:00 AM to 3:00 PM
The lanes closed and time of closure will vary depending on the activity taking place. The closures are necessary to allow for deliveries and to protect public safety when construction activities are taking place on the bridge above the roadway.
Longfellow Bridge Closures
MassDOT will close the Longfellow Bridge to all vehicular traffic as follows:
- There are no bridge closures scheduled through January 29
Bike, pedestrian, and MBTA Red Line travel will be maintained. Bicyclists, both inbound and outbound, should share the upstream sidewalk with pedestrian traffic during this timeframe. Boston-bound vehicles should use the inbound detour routes described below.
The schedule for this major infrastructure project is subject to change without notice. No closures will be implemented within one hour before and after all events at TD Garden or Fenway Park to minimize traffic impacts in the area. All lane restrictions and closures and construction activities are weather dependent. As is typical with most large construction projects, work may sometimes take place without prior notice; however, MassDOT will make every effort to provide advance notice. Emergency response, bicycle and pedestrian access, and MBTA Red Line service will be maintained across the bridge during construction.
Boston Bound Traffic
When the Longfellow Bridge is closed to vehicular traffic, Boston-bound vehicles should use one of two inbound detour routes to reach Charles River Dam Road (Monsignor O'Brien Highway/Route 28) and Leverett Circle. Height restrictions are in place for Memorial Drive, so all buses and trucks must use the 3rd Street to Binney Street detour described below.
- From Main Street, turn right onto Memorial Drive westbound, and make a U-turn at Ames Street to access Memorial Drive eastbound. Follow Memorial Drive eastbound to Land Boulevard and turn right onto Charles River Dam Road (Monsignor O'Brien Highway/Route 28) to reach Leverett Circle.
- From Broadway, turn left onto 3rd Street, turn right on Binney Street, turn left onto Land Boulevard, and then turn right onto Charles River Dam Road (Monsignor O’Brien Highway/Route 28) to reach Leverett Circle.
Cambridge Bound Traffic
For the duration of the project, all Cambridge-bound traffic is being detoured using a signed route from Charles Circle following Charles Street to Leverett Circle, Monsignor O'Brien Highway/Charles River Dam Road and Edwin H. Land Boulevard.
To learn more, please review the Cambridge detour route map. An alternate detour route uses Storrow Drive westbound to the Massachusetts Avenue Bridge. Please note: Storrow Drive and Memorial Drive have truck restrictions.